Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. The Ray Gricar connection - Page 3 - JusticeQuest
JusticeQuest  
-:

Go Back   JusticeQuest > Headlines > Crimes Against Children > Penn State Child Abuse Cases

Old 11-13-2011, 09:30 AM
JQ Registered User
" Believe in Miracles
"

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
:: Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
I'm not either, but there are aspects of his disappearance that make me lean away from believing in suicide as the cause.

1. The cigarette butts and ashes found in and around his car.
2. He didn't leave a suicide note or even hint that he was going to off himself that day.
3. It is very difficult to kill yourself AND hide your body.
I am not convinced either way yet either. But it does seem to be a little too coincindental that it happened around the same time.

The 3 items listed I agree with also.

As for JS pimping out the boys , I am not sure that I believe that was going on either. I believe he was the one doing all the damage, keeping them for himself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 10:35 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
:: Amused
Default "Nothing To Work With"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
But he decided not to prosecute. You think maybe he was going to change his mind and prosecute after all?

It's really bugging me now...why didn't he choose to prosecute at the time? There had to have been a reason.
The Nittany Nightmare: Paterno Fired - Sandusky’s Recorded Sting With Victims Mother Went Missing With Prosecutor Ray Gricar In 2005
"... Gricar viewed police reports and two recorded conversations that Sandusky had with the juvenile victims mother and for reasons that have never been made public, elected not to file charges in the incident. ... Approximately 6 weeks later, the case was closed without enough evidence to prosecute. It is believed the victim had decided to refuse to testify against Sandusky and his Mother believed he would be persecuted in efforts to protect Sandusky and the elite PSU football program. ... According to then University Police detectives Ronald Shreffler and Ralph Ralston, following a meeting with Jerry Lauro, investigator with the PA Dept of Public Welfare, while the behavior was certainly inappropriate, neither victim made allegations of sexual contact rising to the level of criminal activity. ... Gricar had nothing to work with. ..."
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 12:30 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Just thought I'd drop this link even though it's from July 2011

Six years later, district attorney's disappearance is still a mystery
July 31, 2011
By John P. Martin, Inquirer Staff Writer

http://articles.philly.com/2011-07-3...ans-ray-gricar

*snipped*

Tips, alleged sightings, conspiracy theories. Two reexaminations, three district attorneys. Whispers, criticism. And questions still endure about one of Pennsylvania's most baffling mysteries.

How and why does a 59-year-old prosecutor with 20 years in elective office, a stellar reputation, no known personal troubles, and looming retirement plans just disappear? What exactly have investigators done - or not done - to find him?

Even among those closest to Gricar or the investigation there is no consensus. A suicide, says the retired police chief who first presided over the case. Probably a walkaway, says Gricar's immediate successor. Murder, say two district attorneys of nearby counties.

*Snipped*

No fewer than seven websites sprouted to chronicle the case. And cable and network news shows and dramas gave it hours of attention.

(BBM....I'd like to find these websites.)

*Snipped*

Others are just as resigned, or perplexed. As Sloane, Gricar's former assistant, discussed the case Wednesday in his State College law office, his law partner Phil Masorti bounded into the room and the conversation - proof that the debate still ripples through legal and political circles in central Pennsylvania.

Masorti, a defense lawyer, gushed about Gricar as a brilliant and principled district attorney who honed his trial skills as a young prosecutor in Cleveland but who traded that for a quieter role in Happy Valley when his first wife landed a job at Penn State.

Masorti insisted Gricar was "intellectually capable" of disappearing without a trace and might have arranged it to confound locals who did not always belong in his league.

Or not. Masorti started rationalizing a Gricar suicide, then pivoted and suggested checking the federal Witness Protection Program.

"You don't think he's dead, do you?" he pressed Sloane, adding, "I don't think he's dead."

BBM...HMMMMM

So: suicide, murder or a walk-away...with a side order of Witness Protection Program. HMMMMM

This whole scandal thing goes really deep. IMO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact staff writer John P. Martin at 215-854-4774 or [email protected].
Old 11-13-2011, 12:49 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
:: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Jeanine Pirro on Fox has been following this connection closely. She will discuss it on her program. I hope someone talks to his girlfriend. I wonder if they still have the cigarette butts and if they've tested for DNA?
is JP a repete from last night?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 01:39 PM
JQ Registered User
Flag flyin' girl

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
:: Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by R~O~S View Post
Decades ago? 2002 isn't even a decade ago & they didn't do a thing about it. Do you believe he suddenly stopped? He didn't stop after the 1998 investigation. Why would he stop after the 2002 investigation? Neither resulted in any consequences what so ever.

They continued to allow him to use the campus for his "charity" & continued to send him as a school representative into the homes of prospective recruits for the schools athletic program. To make contact with the 15 & 16 year olds who wanted more than anything to be blessed with a scholarship. To meet their families, including younger siblings.

You don't find that disturbing? You wouldn't opt for a different option that wasn't incumbered by such a history? It doesn't make you just a bit uncomfortable to know that any changes that may come, are only because this has become public? The school did nothing & wouldn't have done anything without the Grand Jury indictment.

Yes, decades ago. Hasn't it been stated that he perpetuated these crimes for over 30 years? Sorry if I'm wrong about that.

Of course I find the entire thing disturbing - what normal human being wouldn't? To insinuate I don't is rather insulting. But there are 45,000 kids at Penn State and none of them were sexually abused by the assistant football coach. So no, I do not fear for my kid's safety now any more than the usual concern. I think it's a little over the top to declare that no parent can now believe their child is safe there, IMO.
"Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism" ~ George Washington, Farewell Address September 19, 1796 and considered so important that it is read in its entirety every year in the Senate, and has been read in one or both chambers of Congress every year since 1862.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 01:47 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
:: Lurking

Cop in the video I am watching from the link above said that ashes will have no DNA. Cigarette butts found on the ground were tested for DNA, however, nothing matched anyone in the data base.

A witness says that she saw Ray's car parked by thre Packwood House Museum which is next to the antique shop he frequented. Says that he got out of the car then back in...appeared that he was waiting for someone. I find that very telling.

Search dogs picked up his scent but lost it in the parking lot. To me, that says he got into another vehicle at that point.

Home computer showed searches of how to fry a hard drive by water damage.

Witnesses say that they saw Ray the day he disappeared in the antique mall with a woman. They appeared to be together, however, not cozy...no hand-holding, arm around her, etc...

OK, so I just finished watching "Disappeared" and as of now, opinion could change tomorrow,I think that Ray commited suicide. One of the men on the show said that down the river there is an area called Fiber (it sounded like Fiber) where the water churns so hard that a body would have been torn up, hence, no discovery of Ray's body.

Things that currently lead me to believe he commited suicide:
Car abandoned with no signs of foul play.
Hard drive removed from lap top. Both thrown into river. There could have been something he didn't want family/friends to find out about him after his death.
Ray was withdrawn and napping a lot prior to disappearance. (Increase in sleeping is a sign of depression.)
Could have jumped off bridge and body destroyed in the dam area.

Things that lead lead me to believe he did not commit suicide:
Ashes in car/cigarettes near car
Scene disappearing in parking lot. This makes it look like he got into another car.
Someone else could have removed hard drive and thrown it with lap top into river.
Was about to retire.
Witness says it looked like he was waiting for someone in parking lot.

As you can see, I am not fully convinced of any scenario...

Last edited by CuriousCat; 11-13-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 03:29 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
:: Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
Yes, decades ago. Hasn't it been stated that he perpetuated these crimes for over 30 years? Sorry if I'm wrong about that.

Of course I find the entire thing disturbing - what normal human being wouldn't? To insinuate I don't is rather insulting. But there are 45,000 kids at Penn State and none of them were sexually abused by the assistant football coach. So no, I do not fear for my kid's safety now any more than the usual concern. I think it's a little over the top to declare that no parent can now believe their child is safe there, IMO.
The abuse of victim #1 took place from 2007 through 2008.

There was a prior incident in 2002, a rape on campus which was witnessed by an assistant coach, McQueary, in the showers of the athletic facility. McQueary walked out without intervening.

Prior to that there was an incident in 1998, victim #6, which was reported to the DA, Gricar, who declined to prosecute.

Gricar disappeared in 2005, he was declared dead last year, his body has never been found. His car was abandoned, his computer found in a river so damaged nothing could be retrieved from the hard drive.

Up until last fall, Sandusky was still recruiting for Penn State. The Penn State Administration has known about this investigation since 2008, they knew about the incident in 2002 (this child has not been identified, the indictment was based on McQueary's testimony of the incident) & opted not to notify police & they knew about the investigation in 1998 which was taken directly to police by the family.

There are 8 individual victims listed in the Grand Jury report, none of them predate 1998, IIRC.

So, no, 30 years ago would be far from accurate & given McQueary's reaction @ 28 years old, to walking in on the rape of a 10 year old which was to run home to tell his father instead of calling the police or helping the child, I think it's incredibly premature to suggest there are no student victims at Penn State.

What is insulting is an attempt to minimize the systematic cover up of sexual abuse by any organization. Suggesting because they did a good job of covering it up & it took time to uncover, that somehow it was less important.

These children were abused present day, this decade, not the last and certainly not "decades ago". Would it be less of a crime, less horrific, less damaging to the victims had it been 30 years ago? I really don't think it would, especially since the same people are still in place. Pedophiles don't stop, until they're stopped. A system that allows it, covers it up, & allows it to continue only guarantees there will be more victims.

Drop Dead Fred!

Last edited by R~O~S; 11-13-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 05:35 PM
JQ Registered User
Flag flyin' girl

Quote:
The abuse of victim #1 took place from 2007 through 2008.

There was a prior incident in 2002, a rape on campus which was witnessed by an assistant coach, McQueary, in the showers of the athletic facility. McQueary walked out without intervening.

Prior to that there was an incident in 1998, victim #6, which was reported to the DA, Gricar, who declined to prosecute.

Gricar disappeared in 2005, he was declared dead last year, his body has never been found. His car was abandoned, his computer found in a river so damaged nothing could be retrieved from the hard drive.

Up until last fall, Sandusky was still recruiting for Penn State. The Penn State Administration has known about this investigation since 2008, they knew about the incident in 2002 (this child has not been identified, the indictment was based on McQueary's testimony of the incident) & opted not to notify police & they knew about the investigation in 1998 which was taken directly to police by the family.

There are 8 individual victims listed in the Grand Jury report, none of them predate 1998, IIRC.

So, no, 30 years ago would be far from accurate & given McQueary's reaction @ 28 years old, to walking in on the rape of a 10 year old which was to run home to tell his father instead of calling the police or helping the child, I think it's incredibly premature to suggest there are no student victims at Penn State.

What is insulting is an attempt to minimize the systematic cover up of sexual abuse by any organization. Suggesting because they did a good job of covering it up & it took time to uncover, that somehow it was less important.

These children were abused present day, this decade, not the last and certainly not "decades ago". Would it be less of a crime, less horrific, less damaging to the victims had it been 30 years ago? I really don't think it would, especially since the same people are still in place. Pedophiles don't stop, until they're stopped. A system that allows it, covers it up, & allows it to continue only guarantees there will be more victims.
Not only do they not stop until they are stopped, they also do not just up and become pedophiles later in life. I'm betting we'll find out he abused more boys than just from the Second Mile program. Not sure why you think McQueary witnessing that rape suggest students were abused, if that's what you are saying. In fact, I think it's safe to presume that no PSU students were ever abused. He isn't into young adults. That was my main point in this - it is silly (IMO) to claim we parents should fear for the safety of our students.

Why did you mention Gricar? Do you think he is a piece of this puzzle?
"Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism" ~ George Washington, Farewell Address September 19, 1796 and considered so important that it is read in its entirety every year in the Senate, and has been read in one or both chambers of Congress every year since 1862.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 06:16 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
:: Shocked

Quote:
Not only do they not stop until they are stopped, they also do not just up and become pedophiles later in life. I'm betting we'll find out he abused more boys than just from the Second Mile program. Not sure why you think McQueary witnessing that rape suggest students were abused, if that's what you are saying. In fact, I think it's safe to presume that no PSU students were ever abused. He isn't into young adults. That was my main point in this - it is silly (IMO) to claim we parents should fear for the safety of our students.

Why did you mention Gricar? Do you think he is a piece of this puzzle?
As a recruiter, he's visiting the homes of exactly his preferred age group.

McQueary's reaction is not normal. A blind man can see that. There's a reason he hasn't been fired by Penn State. He did no more, no less than JoPa regarding the 2002 incident. It's not the whistleblower laws that are protecting him.

What may or may not have happened 30 years ago, we'll likely never know, although I have concern for the six children (5 boys) he was allowed to adopt & many foster children placed in his home.

What we know is that Penn State was well aware of what he was doing from 1998 through 2010, yet they kept him as a recruiter, allowed him to use their facilities & failed to take any action to protect anyone but the school.

If that doesn't give you pause regarding the decision making qualities & priorities of the school you're going to entrust your child to, I'm not at all certain what will. By all means, since you're feeling so safe in assuming, send your kids or grandkids there. I'm sure their poor decision making is limited to moral & sexual matters, no biggy.

Ummmm, the thread title is: "The Ray Gricar connection", I don't know if it's connected or not, but it's really not right to take the thread completely o/t, don't you agree?

Drop Dead Fred!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 06:39 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Here ya go Curious Cat:

20/20 Hindsight
By JJinPhila
Posted: 12:23am on Apr 3, 2009; Modified: 4:08am on Dec 13, 2010

The novel 20/20 Vision has played a part in the narrative of the disappearance of former Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar. The book, published in 1990, by Pamela West (now Kraske), is a combination time travel science fiction and detective story; it is good science fiction.

The plot, about a student stabbed in a public building on a university campus, was inspired by the 1969 murder of Betsy Aardsma murder in Pattee Library stacks. Ms. West actually spoke with Mr. Gricar before starting to write the book; he encouraged to write a non fiction book on the Aardsma case. The main male character was a police detective heading for retirement. Another character has developed a method, not so much for time traveling, but for changing a person’s action in the past, after the fact, rewriting the person’s personal history. Ms. West noted some similarities between her book and the case, and more than a year ago, contacted people in Centre County.

After this story was published, a State Police Trooper, now handling the Aardsma case, came forward. He stated that is now dead predecessor told him that Mr. Gricar actually borrowed his copy of 20/20 Vision and read it.

Just how similar? The action in the book took place on the dates April 14-15, of three different years, 1995, 2020, and 2040. The setting was based on State College and the surrounding area. The main male character was a police detective heading for retirement; he drove a “boxy” BMW, vintage, that he called “Lady.” Mr. Gricar drove a car with a license plate based on his girlfriend’s name made by BMW. Cremation ashes played a role in the plot; cigarette ashes in the Mini play a key role in the Gricar case. One point unreported is a drive described in the novel, in a rural valley; Mr. Gricar was driving in Brush Valley when he made his call. A key plot point involved a faked death.

Read more: http://www.centredaily.com/2009/04/0...#ixzz1ddE43P5V
Old 11-13-2011, 06:58 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Finding more links and possibly several forums set up after his dissappearance:

http://sites.google.com/site/raygricar/

Missing District Attorney

Ray Gricar was the Centre County Pennsylvania District Attorney for 20 years. He disappeared April 14, 2005 & was last seen on surveillance video working late at the Courthouse. Two days later his abandoned vehicle & cellphone were found approx 60 miles away in Lewisburg. There was no physical evidence found putting Gricar there. Various witnesses reported seeing the car, but it was determined there were at least 2 other red Mini Coopers in the city in the same time frame. Police checked hundreds of hours of local & surrounding surveillance and found no evidence Gricar had been near there. None of the witness sightings could be corroborated with any other evidence. Search dogs couldn't find his scent at any of the witness locations. Did Gricar actually vanish from Bellefonte rather than Lewisburg, PA? I believe so...

LIST of LINKS AT THIS SITE:

Missing District Attorney Quotes From Ray Gricar
News, Videos & Links
Forums on the Case
Rear of the Courthouse
Bellefonte Map
Lewisburg Scene
Mini Cooper Location
Laptop & Hard drive Locations
Photos
Timeline
Key People
Maps
Documents
Bellefonte Police Screen Capture
Contact

All very interesting given what is playing out at Penn State presently.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:14 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
Here ya go Curious Cat:

20/20 Hindsight
By JJinPhila
Posted: 12:23am on Apr 3, 2009; Modified: 4:08am on Dec 13, 2010

The novel 20/20 Vision has played a part in the narrative of the disappearance of former Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar. The book, published in 1990, by Pamela West (now Kraske), is a combination time travel science fiction and detective story; it is good science fiction.

The plot, about a student stabbed in a public building on a university campus, was inspired by the 1969 murder of Betsy Aardsma murder in Pattee Library stacks. Ms. West actually spoke with Mr. Gricar before starting to write the book; he encouraged to write a non fiction book on the Aardsma case. The main male character was a police detective heading for retirement. Another character has developed a method, not so much for time traveling, but for changing a person’s action in the past, after the fact, rewriting the person’s personal history. Ms. West noted some similarities between her book and the case, and more than a year ago, contacted people in Centre County.

After this story was published, a State Police Trooper, now handling the Aardsma case, came forward. He stated that is now dead predecessor told him that Mr. Gricar actually borrowed his copy of 20/20 Vision and read it.

Just how similar? The action in the book took place on the dates April 14-15, of three different years, 1995, 2020, and 2040. The setting was based on State College and the surrounding area. The main male character was a police detective heading for retirement; he drove a “boxy” BMW, vintage, that he called “Lady.” Mr. Gricar drove a car with a license plate based on his girlfriend’s name made by BMW. Cremation ashes played a role in the plot; cigarette ashes in the Mini play a key role in the Gricar case. One point unreported is a drive described in the novel, in a rural valley; Mr. Gricar was driving in Brush Valley when he made his call. A key plot point involved a faked death.

Read more: http://www.centredaily.com/2009/04/0...#ixzz1ddE43P5V
WHOA! I am thinking planned disappearance based on this information. Too crazy for a coincidence!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 07:16 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Homosexual Connections??

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/1402467/posts

Make sure to read the comments.

HMMM. Maybe squeaky clean DA wasn't so squeaky clean???
Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 PM
JQ Registered User
Flag flyin' girl

Quote:
Ummmm, the thread title is: "The Ray Gricar connection", I don't know if it's connected or not, but it's really not right to take the thread completely o/t, don't you agree?

"Ummmm".... yeah, I know what the thread title is. As for taking it off topic, which is certainly no unusual occurance on a message board, btw, you'll have to direct your question to post# 13 which is what I addressed and then your own posts continuing the "off topic" discussion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 PM
On A Justice Quest.

Quote:
Homosexual Connections??

NOTHING suprises me anymore, and so many with behind the scenes money and power are in this deep! Unfortunately, I doubt Penn State is the only one. :-(((. Geez, two of Sandusky's son's are coaches at other places, one tried to kill himself as a teen. Grrrrr. So many have secrets on eachother, that kept everyone quiet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 07:37 PM
JQ Registered User
Flag flyin' girl

Quote:
Homosexual Connections??

"River banks attract homosexuals"?? Really? I guess it's true that one does learn something new every day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 07:40 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Quote:
"River banks attract homosexuals"?? Really? I guess it's true that one does learn something new every day.
No I think it was the antique area frequented by gay old men!

I found this peice of information;

Other searches included: “how to wreck a hard drive,” “how to fry a hard drive,” “what’s inside a computer,” “what’s inside a notebook computer,” and “water damage to a notebook computer.”

Investigators previously had disclosed that they had, through interviews, heard that Gricar was talking about ways to erase a hard drive with friends and colleagues about 16 months before he disappeared. A box for such software was seen at his house around January 2004.

“The investigation learned early on that Mr. Gricar had, in fact, purchased software to accomplish this,” Rickard said. “It was believed that pending Mr. Gricar’s retirement, he may have wanted to erase his county-issued laptop computer prior to returning the laptop to the District Attorney’s Office.”

Read more: http://www.centredaily.com/2009/04/1...#ixzz1ddTI9f1e
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 07:44 PM
JQ Registered User
Flag flyin' girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Detective View Post

Other searches included: “how to wreck a hard drive,” “how to fry a hard drive,” “what’s inside a computer,” “what’s inside a notebook computer,” and “water damage to a notebook computer.”

Investigators previously had disclosed that they had, through interviews, heard that Gricar was talking about ways to erase a hard drive with friends and colleagues about 16 months before he disappeared. A box for such software was seen at his house around January 2004.

“The investigation learned early on that Mr. Gricar had, in fact, purchased software to accomplish this,” Rickard said. “It was believed that pending Mr. Gricar’s retirement, he may have wanted to erase his county-issued laptop computer prior to returning the laptop to the District Attorney’s Office.”

I don't know, maybe I'm a little too simplistic sometimes. But I just recently threw out a computer. Since it was full of pictures and other files, I opened it, tore out the hard drive and pretty much every thing and smashed it all up to render it useless. And I didn't need a computer search to figure out how to trash it. Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 PM
On A Justice Quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Detective View Post

What's truly sad, we can't trust anyone in this saga, so many peeps involved, whose opinion and analysis is the most truthful?? All those we thought were/could be Hero's have been brought forth to be villains. Ugh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 08:38 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Any one with a WS acct.??

Seems that J. J. in Phila from the article in this post # 50:
http://www.justicequest.net/forums/s...1&postcount=50

...Is the formost authority on Ray Gricar and has ben for years. Anyone want to extend an invite??