Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Wildfires (2017) - Page 3 - JusticeQuest
JusticeQuest  
-:

Go Back   JusticeQuest > Headlines > Weather/Natural Disasters Around the World

Weather/Natural Disasters Around the World A quick glimpse at daily weather, storm news and weird weather around the globe

Old 10-11-2017, 08:43 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
:: Lurking

These friends were classmates of my husbands and they became my friends during several of his reunions. 50 year friendship and they are amazing people. She is the class secretary and organized every single reunion since the first one in 1976. We started a GoFundMe account for them this morning, the entire class is stepping up.

I cannot imagine losing your home to fire, but to also lose your ability to make a living too? She has been battling cancer in recent years and winning the battle but we are all concerned the stress will have a negative effect on her.

From the news, it looks like a war zone up there and the fire is still raging. So many people devastated, and so many still missing! Something like this really makes one think and count their blessings.

Prayers for all the victims of the fires.....
Old 10-11-2017, 11:46 PM
JQ Registered User
MISS MY BOYS

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
:: Cool

Whole towns evacuated as Northern California firestorm grows; at least 23 people are dead

[QUOTE]The death toll rose to 23 Wednesday night from the rapidly spreading firestorm in California wine country as firefighters were battling the return of dangerous winds that sparked new evacuations.

“It’s a good heads-up to all the firefighters and emergency management that the conditions are going to be pretty bad in terms of the fire behaviors,” said Will Pi, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. “We’re expecting the strongest winds to be tonight and tomorrow morning.”

Officials said 13 people have died in Sonoma County, six in Mendocino County, two in Yuba County and two in Napa County.[QUOTE]

More at link: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...011-story.html
Old 10-12-2017, 05:22 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
:: Cheeky

This is all so heartbreaking. I'm in So Cal (San Diego), and we have 1 contained fire as of today. However, the winds are heading North, so we're not getting any smoke or smell here. But that doesn't mean I don't have my finger on the pulse, because everything is so dry. Folks should be staying out of Disneyland and Universal Studios, as that air is so toxic right now.

My thoughts go out to everyone who is being effected by this nightmare.

EE
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2017, 12:26 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Morning all
Smoky skies again today, but very little wind at the moment..
So many folks are suffering - evacuated their homes or lost them to the flames, unable to connect with friends and family due to spotty cell phone service, loss of loved ones, no provisions, etc.
Some folks under mandatory evacuation notices refuse to move. My thoughts - maybe they have no funds for a hotel or a shelter is distasteful? Dunno. What's happening is their reluctance to evacuate is draining more resources. Ugh!
Red Cross is the go-to agency to provide assistance. Gotta have faith that these folks will do the right thing. We've been notified that our club is starting a food, clothing, $$$ drive. Likely our church will do the same. Sad times.

Just sent Spouse off with a surgical mask on. I'll wear one again today as I do my errands on foot.

Spare the Air - normally these alerts to leave the car at home are issued one day at a time. Currently it's in effect until Sunday.

Presser now. Atlas Peak fire is being actively worked. Area of the town of Calistoga is being watched for potential evac.
Community meetings are being held at 4 and 6 pm today.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2017, 01:48 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

just caught a portion of an announcement on fox re a neighborhood that has been devastated somewhere near napa (I think I heard 'just outside of napa city' ) - is being investigated as a 'crime scene'.

since I didn't catch the whole report, unclear if they mean the fire itself is being investigated, or looting or what specifically. i'll see if I can find a link....
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2017, 02:27 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

The photo's are heart breaking.

Oct 12, 2017, 1:31 PM ET
http://abcnews.go.com/US/24-dead-hor...ry?id=50383162
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2017, 02:34 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Re: looting - I haven't seen it reported.
Earlier this week, though, 3 fellows were detained for being out after curfew, and after further investigation, each was arrested for outstanding warrants.

Here's what I've learned so far today:

Appx 8,000 firefighters on duty from a wide range of jurisdictions.
To which we could add search and rescue teams (sadly cadaver dogs are now being employed), thousands of members of the Ca. National Guard, EMTs, CHP and other law enforcement, plus everything and everybody else imaginable.

I'm staying in today (too smoky), so I'll watch for any updates.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Administrator
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

California wildfires may have been sparked by power lines as death toll climbs to 26

State officials have not yet officially said what caused the blazes

In one radio exchange between firefighters in Napa County, crews called in downed lines and a blown transformer around 9:15 p.m. Sunday. About 15 minutes later, crews also reported a fire in the same area. It was unclear if that particular fire grew into a larger blaze or was contained, according to KTVU FOX 2.

The owner of the power equipment, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, said in a statement Wednesday "hurricane-strength winds in excess of 75 mph," and "millions of trees weakened by years of drought and recent renewed vegetation growth from winter storms, all contributed to some trees, branches and debris impacting our electric lines across the North Bay."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/12...mbs-to-26.html

imbs to 26

JQ TOS
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2017, 04:05 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

This alert just sent to me:

"Bay Area air quality is currently at an unhealthy level. The California Air Resources Board recommends that people stay indoors and refrain from heavy work activity during this time."

The air quality is being compared to the air over Beijing.
As an example - local news programs last night showed pictures of the GG Bridge and the Oakland Bay Bridge, where the bridges superstructures were invisible. Normally this only occurs when we have low fog.
Still horribly smoky out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2017, 08:01 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

One of our former mayors has lost his Santa Rosa home.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...o-12273907.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2017, 08:11 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
:: Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricearoni View Post
This alert just sent to me:

"Bay Area air quality is currently at an unhealthy level. The California Air Resources Board recommends that people stay indoors and refrain from heavy work activity during this time."

The air quality is being compared to the air over Beijing.
As an example - local news programs last night showed pictures of the GG Bridge and the Oakland Bay Bridge, where the bridges superstructures were invisible. Normally this only occurs when we have low fog.
Still horribly smoky out.
Our Denver weather news highlighted the weather in California today. Seems winds out of the North and dry air are going to be a problem in fire areas. Hopefully by Tuesday? you'll have rain and snow in the mountains. This is just so tragic. You don't need more fire.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2017, 12:50 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
:: Bored

Earlier today, I saw a picture of a Kmart that had been burned to the ground. THAT'S just how powerful these fires are.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2017, 01:22 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airportwoman View Post
Earlier today, I saw a picture of a Kmart that had been burned to the ground. THAT'S just how powerful these fires are.
A news reporter described the destruction as looking like Dresden after the bombing. So sad.

Air quality in SF has improved, but I still sent Spouse out with a mask on.

Per this morning's presser - fire containment percentages are beginning to slowly increase. Firefighters will work to abate, suppress the actively burning areas, prior to anticipated afternoon winds.

Also, property addresses can be checked for damage via a satellite enabled app at kron4.com/.
Use of drones is forbidden as they will hinder the work of firefighting aircraft.

Fatality number is now at 31.

ICE has suspended enforcement/removal activities in the fire affected areas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2017, 11:40 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Default California Wildfires Emitted a Year’s Worth of Car Pollution in Less Than a Week

The wildfires in California released as much air pollution in the Bay Area in a matter of days as motorists in the state normally emit in a year, drastically reducing air quality and creating an immediate health threat.
The fires released more than 10,000 tons of PM 2.5 — particles that are 2.5 micrometers in diameter or smaller and are regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency because of their health impact — said Sean Raffuse, an air quality analyst at the Crocker Nuclear Laboratory at University of California in Davis. He based his estimate off of U.S. Forest Service models.

That's the same amount of primary PM 2.5 that the EPA estimates come from California vehicles in a year, according to its most recent National Emissions Inventory, Raffuse said.

*snip*
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/we...s-week-n810421
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2017, 02:04 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Just catching local news now. Per CalFire, fire continues to move across Sonoma County from East to West in a mostly rural area - maybe 2 miles from the town square. This location was under a mandatory evacuation order. Firefighters are actively working with hand tools, bulldozers, back hoes and other heavy equipment to save Buena Vista Winery - est. in the 1850s - the oldest in the state.
Many water and retardant drops (via helicopter and airplane) being deposited over the burning areas.
Death toll is at 35 - in my opinion, a miracle.
90,000 people have been evacuated.
We had gusty winds earlier today, but there is very little wind now.
We awoke to heavily smoky air. We continue to wear masks while outdoors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2017, 12:03 PM
Administrator
On A Justice Quest.

All I can say is God Bless these firefighters. Some are going without sleep

JQ TOS
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2017, 04:52 PM
Administrator
On A Justice Quest.

SONOMA, Calif. -- California fire authorities said Sunday they have turned a corner in battling several of the wildfires that have devastated wine country and other parts of the state over the past week.

Some counties were preparing to let more evacuees return to their homes amid improving weather. The winds that have been fanning the deadliest and most destructive cluster of wildfires in California history did not kick up overnight as much as feared.

"Conditions have drastically changed from just 24 hours ago, and that is definitely a very good sign. And it's probably a sign we've turned a corner on these fires," said Daniel Berlant, spokesman for California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

"We're starting to see fires with containment numbers in the 50 and 60 percent, so we're definitely getting the upper hand on these fires."

http://6abc.com/california-getting-t...fires/2535423/

JQ TOS
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2017, 08:11 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Air quality is much better today.

I just returned from an SFS concert. Prior to the beginning of the second part of the program, a young lady cellist stood in front of the stage with a hand-held microphone and expressed feelings of love and support for those in the ravaged areas. The Symphony is organizing efforts to benefit/assist the victims of the fires. In the past, the Red Cross has been invited to establish tables in the hall lobbies to solicit contributions for victims of the hurricanes. I'm thinking that there may be a special benefit concert for this particular disaster.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2017, 08:38 PM
JQ Registered User
Post~N~Run Champ!

Location: War does not determine who is right - only who is left
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
:: Sad

Someone up-thread mentioned this couple.
She didn't make it after all.
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/we...m_npd_nn_fb_ma

Squirrley
9/20/1996 ~ 3/31/2014

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2017, 08:52 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I reat that story yesterday--so sorry to hear she didn't make it
Reply With Quote top