Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Jason Corbett, 39 man Killed by FIL - hit in head with baseball bat in North Carolina - Page 3 - JusticeQuest
JusticeQuest  
-:

Go Back   JusticeQuest > Headlines > It's Criminal

It's Criminal This is a forum in itself!

Old 08-12-2017, 09:44 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Wow, poor Jason. It sounds like he was in bed when they attacked him.

You would think a former FBI agent would know to give daughter some injuries to back up their story or in the least get some blood on their hands to prove the faked CPR.

I can't wrap my brain around this one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2017, 01:19 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
:: Sunshine

So did anyone watch this on 20/20 last night? I had never heard of the case until watching the show.

I would have voted not guilty.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2017, 01:21 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahStar View Post
So did anyone watch this on 20/20 last night? I had never heard of the case until watching the show.

I would have voted not guilty.
I watched it: I was not familiar with the case either and I would have voted guilty: looks like it was overkill, all those blows to the head, how is that self defense?

why would you have voted not guilty

she is stunning and soft spoken, sounds convincing but I did not believe her husband was evil as she portrayed him. she had that recording of him yelling; I could do that with my husband when he has gotten angry on occasion but he surely is not an abusive person.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2017, 01:42 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
:: Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by leagleeagle View Post
I watched it: I was not familiar with the case either and I would have voted guilty: looks like it was overkill, all those blows to the head, how is that self defense?

why would you have voted not guilty

she is stunning and soft spoken, sounds convincing but I did not believe her husband was evil as she portrayed him. she had that recording of him yelling; I could do that with my husband when he has gotten angry on occasion but he surely is not an abusive person.
I don't know....other than the fact she was VERY convincing to me, as was the father. I couldn't really figure out a motive. I do think he was abusive. Granted I wasn't at the trial so there was I'm sure a lot that I didn't hear. This is my gut reaction though.

Overkill? Yeh, I can see that. BUT if he had been abusive all along like she claimed......and was attacking her that night.....and that dad....well, there is no stronger, angrier person in the world than a parent protecting their child.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2017, 01:53 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
:: Cheerful

I think the motive is she wanted those kids.

and there was a sizeable insurance policy, iirc.

she had zero injuries - tiny little thing like that.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:55 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

also, him having HER prescription medicine in his system really makes me wonder after all of that drinking and the drugs, how he would even be awake at that time.

sure, he could have been, but nothing points to him hurting her or any type of threatening situation.

and where the hell did the landscape rock come from? it just happened to be in the bedroom?
Old 08-12-2017, 05:16 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protectkidz View Post
also, him having HER prescription medicine in his system really makes me wonder after all of that drinking and the drugs, how he would even be awake at that time.

sure, he could have been, but nothing points to him hurting her or any type of threatening situation.

and where the hell did the landscape rock come from? it just happened to be in the bedroom?
All good points pointing to their guilt
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2017, 12:11 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
:: Happy

This was very strange and I paid close attention to her. She would not look the interviewer in the eye. I thought that strange.

All the blood on the floor and not up high and that landscape brick. If she was going to do a project it would not be on her nightstand. It's rough and would scratch.

No calls to 911 about his abuse. No witnesses backing up her story.

Listening to the jurors at the end of the program I think they got it right with what they had to work with. One of them said and the others agreed that the Defense didn't give them anything to work with.

The dad was a very well spoken man but her with nary a bruise I'm just not believing her.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2017, 09:24 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
:: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahStar View Post
I don't know....other than the fact she was VERY convincing to me, as was the father. I couldn't really figure out a motive. I do think he was abusive. Granted I wasn't at the trial so there was I'm sure a lot that I didn't hear. This is my gut reaction though.

Overkill? Yeh, I can see that. BUT if he had been abusive all along like she claimed......and was attacking her that night.....and that dad....well, there is no stronger, angrier person in the world than a parent protecting their child.
The motive was the children. Why didn't her mother call 911 if she thought her daughter was in danger?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2017, 01:30 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme222 View Post
This was very strange and I paid close attention to her. She would not look the interviewer in the eye. I thought that strange.

All the blood on the floor and not up high and that landscape brick. If she was going to do a project it would not be on her nightstand. It's rough and would scratch.

No calls to 911 about his abuse. No witnesses backing up her story.

Listening to the jurors at the end of the program I think they got it right with what they had to work with. One of them said and the others agreed that the Defense didn't give them anything to work with.

The dad was a very well spoken man but her with nary a bruise I'm just not believing her.
I think both father and daughter should have pled self defense -

Just because she never reported the abuse to the authorities doesn't mean it didn't happen. I think we have learned so much about DV and how it often isn't reported. And just because she didn't have any bruises visible to the police that night didn't mean he hadn't hurt her. And I can see how she would not want to leave him and leave the children behind. I don't doubt she loved those kids - after all she had been their only mother since they were - what? 2/3 years old? I doubt they remembered their biological mother at all. It appears that he was using money as a control with her also. I have to disregard his family's statements when it comes to this situation. After all, they were not anywhere near or close to this family. I also don't think this was premeditated. I do believe the bat was just where she said it was (setting aside what the family claims the boy said months, if not years later and after spending all that time with the aunt). The paving brick? Weird, I agree and admit. Upthread someone said the children were on the same floor as the MB - no, they were on the floor above and she said she always made a point to close their door because of the arguing that was going on. I can understand the parents hearing *something* going on above them - I understood that their room was directly below the MB. I've never bought the prosecution's argument (and the family's) that she thought she'd get custody of the children. She had seen a lawyer and I'm sure he/she had told her that was not happening in any scenario without her being a legal guardian. As to the $600,000 policy - I don't think this was premeditated and therefore that $$ didn't come into it.

I think he started in on her as he often did as they got ready for bed (and the sleep aid might have had little or no effect on him - he was what - 6'6"? almost 300 lbs? Something prescribed for her might not affect him at all). She grabbed the bat and started to swing at him - he got the bat away from her and probably shoved her while doing it so she either hit the floor or a wall (alerting the parents). Her father came up to see what was going on, and knowing some of the history of abuse, came to help her. I think Jason got the best of him (due to his age and size) and she grabbed something close at hand - the paving stone - and attacked him. The father got up, grabbed the bat and also attacked. Then things got even crazier and Jason ended up dead.

Did Jason deserve to die? No, of course not. Did she and her father kill him? Yes. But there were extenuating circumstances and that's why I believe they should have pled to manslaughter (or something less than 1st degree murder - I'm no lawyer and I don't know the finer points of law). I don't know if they were even offered a plea deal but I think they should have been, or at least the defense lawyers should have floated the idea.

Anyway - that's my 2 cents worth.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2017, 01:33 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflies View Post
The motive was the children. Why didn't her mother call 911 if she thought her daughter was in danger?
I don't think the children (or more rightly, custody of the children) entered into it. She had to have known that without legal custody there was little chance she'd get permanent custody of them. And I think the mother was cowed by her husband to some extent and maybe, just maybe, she hoped the police wouldn't be dragged into private family matters. Not an uncommon feelings in my experience. Do you really think this was a planned attack?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2017, 03:39 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybil17 View Post

I don't think the children (or more rightly, custody of the children) entered into it. She had to have known that without legal custody there was little chance she'd get permanent custody of them. And I think the mother was cowed by her husband to some extent and maybe, just maybe, she hoped the police wouldn't be dragged into private family matters. Not an uncommon feelings in my experience. Do you really think this was a planned attack?
I think it was planned and they were lucky they were only found guilty of second degree murder.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2017, 03:51 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybil17 View Post

I think she fully thought she would get custody - she was absolutely LIVID when she didn't. Her facebook page shows how obsessed she was with them.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:15 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
:: Buzzed

Quote:
I think she fully thought she would get custody - she was absolutely LIVID when she didn't. Her facebook page shows how obsessed she was with them.
i dont think she was obsessed. she loved them as her own. the school stuff, the food she made, the baths she gave, the hugs she gave, the love they gave her. she loved them like her own children IMO.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:37 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Quote:
She was beyond obsessed and is right where she belongs. If there is a retrial, it will result the same way, imo. Their attempt to paint the victim as the killer of his first wife was ridiculous.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2017, 04:42 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I missed the end of the trial, I was away in Portugal for two weeks with my whole family for my 60th birthday, kids paid for everything, it was amazing. Just back today and trying to catch up but Im very happy with the verdict.
Reply With Quote top