Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. St. Of Utah vs. Martin MacNeill~VERDICT **GUILTY** - Page 148 - JusticeQuest
JusticeQuest  
-:

Go Back   JusticeQuest > And Justice for All > Archives > Martin MacNeill Trial

Old 09-19-2014, 07:03 PM
JQ Registered User
Just because you can doesn't
mean you should

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
:: Amused

Okay, so today he got sentenced to 15 to life and then min of 1 yr on the obstruction charges so total min of 17 yrs. How much has he already served while being incarcerated prior to trial and up to now?

Well, I suppose I should say "time served" since they get these ridiculous credits for more than a day at a time. Usually we hear at the sentencing how much credit they already have built up towards their sentencing and I didn't see anything like that posted.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:37 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talina View Post
Okay, so today he got sentenced to 15 to life and then min of 1 yr on the obstruction charges so total min of 17 yrs. How much has he already served while being incarcerated prior to trial and up to now?

Well, I suppose I should say "time served" since they get these ridiculous credits for more than a day at a time. Usually we hear at the sentencing how much credit they already have built up towards their sentencing and I didn't see anything like that posted.
that 17 includes the sexual molestation charge that is also consecutive 1-15....that is how it comes out to 17 years at a minimum.

let me go and look back at twitter, I am guessing that they think the parole board will never let him get away with a minimum

Cathy@courtchatter

(bbm)
Grunander says due to #MartinMacNeill age and taking no resp, he will die in prison

Ben Winslow@BenWinslow

Judge says #MartinMacNeill would not qualify for sexual offender treatment because he refuses to cooperate or admit wrongdoing.

I think the last bbm is why they think he will not get early parole on anything
Old 09-30-2014, 02:58 PM
JQ Registered User
All the great things are
simple, and many can be
expressed in a single word:
freedom, justice, honor, duty,
mercy, hope

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
:: Busy

Martin MacNeill to appeal murder conviction in wife’s death
Sep 29 2014 08:58 pm

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58...urder.html.csp
snip....
Martin MacNeill — sentenced earlier this month to prison for up to life over his wife’s murder — on Monday filed a notice that he plans to take his case to the Utah Court of Appeals.
On Sept. 19, a 4th District Court judge sentenced MacNeill, 58, to spend 15 years to life in prison for murdering his wife, Michele MacNeill, plus another one to 15 years in prison for obstruction of justice.
Judge Derek Pullan ordered the sentences in the murder case to run consecutively to a one-to-15 year prison sentence for an unrelated sexual abuse conviction.
MacNeill’s attorney, Randall Spencer, filed a notice of appeal Monday in 4th District Court. The notice does not provide details about which issues MacNeill will raise on appeal.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:22 PM
JQ Registered User
loving my precious dog Cookie

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
:: Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny47 View Post
Martin MacNeill to appeal murder conviction in wife’s death
Sep 29 2014 08:58 pm

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58...urder.html.csp
snip....
Martin MacNeill — sentenced earlier this month to prison for up to life over his wife’s murder — on Monday filed a notice that he plans to take his case to the Utah Court of Appeals.
On Sept. 19, a 4th District Court judge sentenced MacNeill, 58, to spend 15 years to life in prison for murdering his wife, Michele MacNeill, plus another one to 15 years in prison for obstruction of justice.
Judge Derek Pullan ordered the sentences in the murder case to run consecutively to a one-to-15 year prison sentence for an unrelated sexual abuse conviction.
MacNeill’s attorney, Randall Spencer, filed a notice of appeal Monday in 4th District Court. The notice does not provide details about which issues MacNeill will raise on appeal.
Its too bad Michelle cannot appeal her sentence. imo
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2015, 07:17 PM
JQ Registered User
All the great things are
simple, and many can be
mercy, hope

Convicted killer Martin MacNeill won’t have a parole hearing until 2052
Apr 21 2015 05:41 pm

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2426330-1...eill-wont-have

When now-59-year-old Martin MacNeill goes before the Utah Board of Parole for the first time, the former doctor and convicted killer will be 96 years old.
The board recently set MacNeill's original parole hearing for August 2052 ­— 38 years after he was sentenced to prison for first-degree felony murder and second-degree felony obstruction of justice in his wife Michele MacNeill's 2007 death.
At his sentencing last September, 4th District Judge Derek Pullan ordered the two convictions in the murder case to run consecutive to one another, and to also run consecutive to a one-to-15 year prison sentence ordered earlier that week for an unrelated sexual abuse conviction.

In November 2013, a jury found Martin MacNeill guilty of murder and obstruction of justice, finding that he drugged his 50-year-old wife, then drowned her in a bathtub in their Pleasant Grove home on April 11, 2007.
MacNeill is now appealing the conviction, though a complaint had yet to be filed in his Utah Court of Appeals case as of Tuesday.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:57 PM
JQ Registered User
Relaxing with my cats

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
:: Relaxed

That is the most awesome news!!

Justice for Michelle!
Old 06-25-2015, 08:20 AM
JQ Registered User
All the great things are
simple, and many can be
mercy, hope

Martin MacNeill, convicted in wife's 2007 death, appeals
Wednesday, June 24 2015 1:45 p.m. MDT

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...h-appeals.html

A Utah doctor convicted of killing his wife in a case that became a true-crime cable TV obsession is appealing his conviction by saying key testimony in the case was tainted.
Lawyers for Martin MacNeill laid out their case for tossing his conviction in court documents obtained Wednesday by the Associated Press.
An ex-cellmate who testified that MacNeill had confessed was the only person who could directly tie him to the crime in the largely circumstantial case, according to attorney Kent Morgan. But the jury never heard evidence that the inmate had seen cable news coverage of the trial, or that prosecutors recommended early release in exchange for his testimony.

Whether the jury believed or disbelieved this informant was the linchpin in the prosecution's case," Morgan wrote in court papers.
Defense attorneys requested oral arguments in the case, though no date was immediately set for the proceeding.
Prosecutors didn't immediately return messages Wednesday seeking comment.
MacNeill, 59, was sentenced to up to life in prison after he was convicted of dosing his wife with drugs prescribed after cosmetic surgery and leaving her to drown in the bathtub so he could begin a new life with his mistress.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:55 PM
JQ Registered User
All the great things are
simple, and many can be
mercy, hope

Utah Doctor Martin MacNeill Sentenced to Life for Drugging and Drowning His Wife Appeals Conviction
06/25/2015 AT 10:45 AM EDT
http://www.people.com/article/utah-d...der-conviction

A Utah doctor who was found guilty of his wife's murder is appealing his conviction.

Martin MacNeill was sentenced to life in prison for overmedicating his wife of nearly 30 years and then drowning her in a bathtub to start a new life with his mistress.

Lawyers are appealing his conviction on the grounds that key testimony in the case was tainted, the Associated Press reports.

The case relied largely on testimony from one of MacNeill's former cellmates, who said that the doctor had confessed the crime to him.

However, the inmate in question had seen news coverage of MacNeill's trial and was promised early release in exchange for his testimony, two facts that the jury who convicted MacNeill never heard.

"Whether the jury believed or disbelieved this informant was the linchpin in the prosecution's case," attorney Kent Morgan wrote in court papers obtained by the AP Wednesday.:tant:
Old 06-26-2015, 03:03 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Seriously? They're saying it's possible the jury convicted on the testimony of some jail house snitch? Oh yeah. Righto. And NOT the compelling testimony of his daughters and all the other witnesses?

I guess you have to try any port in a storm.

I should be used to all the shenanigans by now ... but I'm not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2016, 07:07 PM
JQ Registered User
extraordinaire

Ugh

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3409923-1...al-will-he-get
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2016, 07:18 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
:: Angelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spendi View Post
From your link:

Claims of prosecutor misconduct • MacNeill's appellate attorneys further claim that prosecutors withheld information from trial attorneys, including that MacNeill's son, Damian MacNeill, had expressed "homicidal ideations," based on his alleged Twitter postings about murder. They claim that MacNeill's attorneys should have been told about this, because it could have offered an "alternate perpetrator" if they jury believed Michele MacNeill was murdered.

So the defense aka MacNeill the killer is accussing Damien his son...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2016, 10:29 PM
JQ Registered User
Love and Truth is the Answer

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post

From your link:

Claims of prosecutor misconduct • MacNeill's appellate attorneys further claim that prosecutors withheld information from trial attorneys, including that MacNeill's son, Damian MacNeill, had expressed "homicidal ideations," based on his alleged Twitter postings about murder. They claim that MacNeill's attorneys should have been told about this, because it could have offered an "alternate perpetrator" if they jury believed Michele MacNeill was murdered.

So the defense aka MacNeill the killer is accussing Damien his son...
Wait. Pardon me for my idiocy right now...didn't the son commit suicide?
Or am I thinking of another case?
TIA
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2016, 11:00 PM
JQ Registered User
I've never faked a sarcasm in
my life!

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
:: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregongal View Post
Wait. Pardon me for my idiocy right now...didn't the son commit suicide?
Or am I thinking of another case?
TIA
Yes, he committed suicide in January 2010.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Murderer MacNeill would sink this low .... he always was and will always be a disgusting POS.

"We make a living by what we get ... We make a life by what we give ..."
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2016, 11:08 PM
JQ Registered User
I've never faked a sarcasm in
my life!

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
:: Cheeky

It appears that the defense used this same "prosecutorial misconduct" allegation back in December 2012 to have the charges dismissed before the trial even began.

Looks like they are just regurgitating their old arguments which had no validity back then, and still don't.

Article from January 2013:

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...f8279c698.html

"We make a living by what we get ... We make a life by what we give ..."
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2017, 06:17 PM
JQ Registered User

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Utah Court of Appeals: No new murder trial for Utah County doctor Martin MacNeill

March 17, 2017

A former Utah doctor found guilty of drugging and drowning his wife in a bathtub lost his bid for a new trial this week, when the Utah Court of Appeals ruled there was enough evidence presented at his high-profile trial to convict him.

Martin MacNeill's attorneys argued last September that he should get a new trial because jurors relied on false testimony and thin evidence when they found him guilty in 2013 of first-degree felony murder and second-degree felony obstructing justice.

The now-61-year-old has been imprisoned for more than two years, after he was sentenced by a Utah County judge to spend a 15-years-to-life term in prison for Michele MacNeill's April 11, 2007, death at their Pleasant Grove home.

His appellate attorneys contended that prosecutors tainted the testimony of an important witnesses and engaged in misconduct when they withheld thousands of pages of evidence from MacNeill's trial attorneys.

But the high court found no error that warranted a new trial, and further ruled that there was ample evidence to prove MacNeill committed the crimes.

MacNeill's attorneys had also argued there were problems with the testimony of a federal inmate who served time with MacNeill after he was convicted of an unrelated identity theft case. That inmate told jurors that MacNeill confessed to him that he had murdered his wife.

Attorneys argued that the inmate was not truthful on the stand about a deal he received in exchange for testifying, and that prosecutors did not try to correct the testimony and did not inform MacNeill's attorney that a Utah County Attorney's Office investigator had written a favorable letter to federal prosecutors requesting leniency for the inmate. Those omissions amounted to prosecutor misconduct, they argued.

But an attorney for the state argued in response that even if Utah County prosecutors erred, it was not prejudicial and did not affect the outcome of the trial. The high court agreed.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5071573-1...appeals-no-new
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2017, 06:39 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun. View Post
Utah Court of Appeals: No new murder trial for Utah County doctor Martin MacNeill

March 17, 2017

A former Utah doctor found guilty of drugging and drowning his wife in a bathtub lost his bid for a new trial this week, when the Utah Court of Appeals ruled there was enough evidence presented at his high-profile trial to convict him.

Martin MacNeill's attorneys argued last September that he should get a new trial because jurors relied on false testimony and thin evidence when they found him guilty in 2013 of first-degree felony murder and second-degree felony obstructing justice.

The now-61-year-old has been imprisoned for more than two years, after he was sentenced by a Utah County judge to spend a 15-years-to-life term in prison for Michele MacNeill's April 11, 2007, death at their Pleasant Grove home.

His appellate attorneys contended that prosecutors tainted the testimony of an important witnesses and engaged in misconduct when they withheld thousands of pages of evidence from MacNeill's trial attorneys.

But the high court found no error that warranted a new trial, and further ruled that there was ample evidence to prove MacNeill committed the crimes.

MacNeill's attorneys had also argued there were problems with the testimony of a federal inmate who served time with MacNeill after he was convicted of an unrelated identity theft case. That inmate told jurors that MacNeill confessed to him that he had murdered his wife.

Attorneys argued that the inmate was not truthful on the stand about a deal he received in exchange for testifying, and that prosecutors did not try to correct the testimony and did not inform MacNeill's attorney that a Utah County Attorney's Office investigator had written a favorable letter to federal prosecutors requesting leniency for the inmate. Those omissions amounted to prosecutor misconduct, they argued.

But an attorney for the state argued in response that even if Utah County prosecutors erred, it was not prejudicial and did not affect the outcome of the trial. The high court agreed.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5071573-1...appeals-no-new
Great news- thanks for the update
Reply With Quote top