Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Michelle Carter, 17, Encouraged Conrad Roy, 18, to Commit Suicide**Sentenced to 2.5 years stayed pending appeal** - Page 10 - JusticeQuest
JusticeQuest  
-:

Go Back   JusticeQuest > And Justice for All > We the Jury

We the Jury Current Trials, Appeals and Civil Trials

Old 06-16-2017, 09:29 PM
JQ Registered User
VIVE LA FRANCE!!

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
:: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by leagleeagle View Post
I am watching 48 hours --she looks older than 17 and she looks hard as nails
I think she is now 20. I imagine this case aged her somewhat. She was a despicable brat who finally got called out.
So she went on to a place where she could be a guardian angel. She will always be young, she will always be beautiful. And I personally feel much safer knowin' that she's up there on my side. It may sound real simple and stupid and...Well maybe I am, but, that's how I get through things like this....Annelle to M'lynn, Steel Magnolias
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2017, 09:40 PM
Administrator
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megnana View Post
Hi Athena, thats where it got complicated, he convicted her as a youthful offender and as far as I could find out under that criteria she cant be sentenced to more than 6 years for any crime. Its seems to be between juvenile and adult, thats what all the confusion was about earlier on today. IF she was in juvenile court she couldnt have had a jury trial but that was scheduled her defense waived it and went for a bench trial. Also juvenile court is not public so how were we able to see it live. She looked very confused when the judge said youthful offender and looked at and was spoken to by her lawyer. So basically its all up in the air until Aug 3. At least he convicted her, that really took the wind out of her sails.
Thanks Megnana. Wow -- it is confusing -- found this from Law News:

Here’s What’s Next For Michelle Carter After Involuntary Manslaughter Conviction

Michelle Carter, the Massachusetts woman convicted today of involuntary manslaughter for telling her boyfriend to continue on with a suicide attempt when they were both teen high school students, will be sentenced August 3rd.

Carter was charged with involuntary manslaughter, a common-law crime, as a youthful offender. Youthful offender status provides judges with three possible sentencing options.

First, it’s possible Carter could be committed to prison for the full possible adult sentence. For involuntary manslaughter, the possible maximum penalty for Carter is no more than twenty years in prison. She could also face a $1,000 fine coupled with a sentence of not more than two and a half years in prison. If Carter is ordered to a prison under this first possible option, she could be ordered to adult confinement. She’s over the 18-year limit under the sentencing statute for imprisonment “in a youthful offender unit separate from the general population of adult prisoners.

Second, it’s possible Carter could be sentenced to a “combination sentence.” She could be committed to the department of youth services until she’s twenty one years old (Carter is currently twenty). After that, she would receive an adult sentence — in theory. It would be suspended pending a successful probation period.

Third, it’s possible Carter could be committed to the department of youth services until she’s 21.

http://lawnewz.com/legal-analysis/wh...er-conviction/

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

JQ TOS
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2017, 09:45 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post

Thanks Megnana. Wow -- it is confusing -- found this from Law News:

Here’s What’s Next For Michelle Carter After Involuntary Manslaughter Conviction

Michelle Carter, the Massachusetts woman convicted today of involuntary manslaughter for telling her boyfriend to continue on with a suicide attempt when they were both teen high school students, will be sentenced August 3rd.

Carter was charged with involuntary manslaughter, a common-law crime, as a youthful offender. Youthful offender status provides judges with three possible sentencing options.

First, it’s possible Carter could be committed to prison for the full possible adult sentence. For involuntary manslaughter, the possible maximum penalty for Carter is no more than twenty years in prison. She could also face a $1,000 fine coupled with a sentence of not more than two and a half years in prison. If Carter is ordered to a prison under this first possible option, she could be ordered to adult confinement. She’s over the 18-year limit under the sentencing statute for imprisonment “in a youthful offender unit separate from the general population of adult prisoners.

Second, it’s possible Carter could be sentenced to a “combination sentence.” She could be committed to the department of youth services until she’s twenty one years old (Carter is currently twenty). After that, she would receive an adult sentence — in theory. It would be suspended pending a successful probation period.

Third, it’s possible Carter could be committed to the department of youth services until she’s 21.

http://lawnewz.com/legal-analysis/wh...er-conviction/

Thank you so much for this. Im sure I heard the prosecution asking for at least 10 years so according to this that is still possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2017, 12:30 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
:: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megnana View Post
Thank you so much for this. Im sure I heard the prosecution asking for at least 10 years so according to this that is still possible.
given the judge let her walk out free today i wouldnt bet on it.
new england patriots: superbowl champions 2001 2003 2004 2014 afc champions 1985 1996 2001 2003 2004 2007 2011 2014 2016 afc/afl east champions 1963 1978 1986 1996 1997 2001 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2017, 06:39 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachtree View Post
I think she is now 20. I imagine this case aged her somewhat. She was a despicable brat who finally got called out.
the despicable little bitch needs to spend some time in prison: did you see her crying when the judge declared her guilty? crying for herself. During the trial , at least the parts they showed, she sat there like a stone cold bitch- no expression whatsoever. I hope this judge doesn't just give her a slap on the wrist ---like a lecture and probation--- the fact he did not revoke bail is not a good sign to me that she will serious jail time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Administrator
On A Justice Quest.

I watched 48 hours last night -- she was worse than I thought

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

JQ TOS
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2017, 11:13 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
she is pretty bad
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2017, 12:14 PM
JQ Registered User
VIVE LA FRANCE!!

Quote:
I missed that one, I will have to watch it, I didn't really follow this case that close but I'm afraid she is representative of alot of these kids who grew up in the age of the internet, apathetic little monsters, so easy for them to hide behind their computers and phones.
So she went on to a place where she could be a guardian angel. She will always be young, she will always be beautiful. And I personally feel much safer knowin' that she's up there on my side. It may sound real simple and stupid and...Well maybe I am, but, that's how I get through things like this....Annelle to M'lynn, Steel Magnolias
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2017, 12:17 PM
JQ Registered User
VIVE LA FRANCE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leagleeagle View Post
the despicable little bitch needs to spend some time in prison: did you see her crying when the judge declared her guilty? crying for herself. During the trial , at least the parts they showed, she sat there like a stone cold bitch- no expression whatsoever. I hope this judge doesn't just give her a slap on the wrist ---like a lecture and probation--- the fact he did not revoke bail is not a good sign to me that she will serious jail time.
She's a little beast for sure, I was surprised the judge even found her guilty, don't get me wrong, I am glad he did but I still think this case is on a very thin line regarding first amendment rights etc,. as I posted earlier I am curious as to what the Supreme Court would decide.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2017, 12:30 PM
JQ Registered User
VIVE LA FRANCE!!

BTW 48 hrs has last night's show up on their website, free streaming, "Death by Text"
http://www.cbsnews.com/48-hours/
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2017, 12:50 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
:: Cheerful

the judge explained it pretty well. at the beginning when he said that her texts didn't cause his death, I thought she would get off.

but he carefully explained that when Conrad got out of the truck and said he was scared, she caused involuntary manslaughter when she told him to get back in - as it was obvious there was a clear danger of harm.

I think it's a good verdict.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Administrator
On A Justice Quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protectkidz View Post
the judge explained it pretty well. at the beginning when he said that her texts didn't cause his death, I thought she would get off.

but he carefully explained that when Conrad got out of the truck and said he was scared, she caused involuntary manslaughter when she told him to get back in - as it was obvious there was a clear danger of harm.

In addition to what she said the fact that she sat on the phone for 20 minutes listening to him moaning in pain and then called her friend and told her that he had just killed himself. Heartless and no remorse for telling him to get back into the car !!! She had time to think about what she had just done

~John F. Kennedy

JQ TOS

Last edited by Athena; 06-17-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2017, 01:25 PM
JQ Registered User
VIVE LA FRANCE!!

Quote:

In addition to what she said the fact that she sat on the phone for 20 minutes listening to him moaning in pain and then called her friend and told her that he had just killed himself. Heartless and no remorse for telling him to get back into the car !!! She had time to think about what she had just done
I am watching the 48 hours show now, I had no idea she did that, evil, evil. Then to act like the grieving girlfriend is disgusting, that seems to have been her motive. to garner sympathy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Administrator
On A Justice Quest.

Quote:
I am watching the 48 hours show now, I had no idea she did that, evil, evil. Then to act like the grieving girlfriend is disgusting, that seems to have been her motive. to garner sympathy.
Also when he voiced concern over what his suicide would do to his family -- basically she told him they would come to accept it? Really? Grrr .... I felt so very, very sorry for his Mom having to listen to that.

The biatch could have sought his family's help instead she encouraged it. I have no sympathy for her at all; nada, zilch, zero

~John F. Kennedy

JQ TOS
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2017, 10:00 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
She wanted to be noticed....well she got that. This case is a "one of a kind" and will be debated and argued for years. This bitch's name and circumstances will be forever remembered.

So sorry for the MOM....and his family.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2017, 12:28 AM
JQ Registered User
Serious addiction to trials!

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
:: Awesome

[QUOTE=Megnana;4077251]There is so much about this case that I dont understand so Ive been googling trying to find answers. As was said above, if she was tried in a juvenile court, why was it public? Juvenile courts are judge only so why did her defense request a bench trial, how could she have had a jury trial as a juvenile?

During the hearing she looked very confused when the judge mentioned being convicted (I think thats what he said) as a youthful offender, as if she didnt know what that meant so off I went to try and find out.

Came across this

From your link;
Lastly, if a defendant is sentenced as a youthful offender, he or she cannot receive more than a 6-year sentence for any charge, including first degree felonies.

If a defendant qualifies for a youthful offender sentence, the defendant can almost always receive the designation if the state is in agreement. However, if the offender is unable to win over the state's approval, he or she still has the opportunity to receive the designation from the sentencing judge. A judge always has the discretion to impose a youthful offender sentence if the defendant qualifies. Whether a judge utilizes his or her discretion to impose a youthful offender sentence is a different story. Convincing a judge to consider a youthful offender sentence requires a good fight from both the defendant and his lawyer, especially in cases where the state is in disagreement about the designation. Zealous representation is key and for some defendants, life changing.

~I bet she gets next to nothing!!!!
Old 06-19-2017, 12:32 AM
JQ Registered User

Quote:
I saw that and yes she is a horrible person!!!!
Old 06-19-2017, 12:35 AM
JQ Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by protectkidz View Post

Why isn't voluntary manslaughter? She knew she was telling him to get back in the truck to die, I don't get that!!!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
:: Amazed

Quote:
She's a little beast for sure, I was surprised the judge even found her guilty, don't get me wrong, I am glad he did but I still think this case is on a very thin line regarding first amendment rights etc,. as I posted earlier I am curious as to what the Supreme Court would decide.
i think if you try someone for saying 'go kill yourself! ' in a rage and they do is over the line.

this, on the other hand, seems like deliberate malicious and pre mediated manipulation of someone she knew wasnt mentally right.

lets put it this way, if his pyschiatrist had done the same i dont think there would be an issue with the prosecution.
new england patriots: superbowl champions 2001 2003 2004 2014 afc champions 1985 1996 2001 2003 2004 2007 2011 2014 2016 afc/afl east champions 1963 1978 1986 1996 1997 2001 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2017, 12:00 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Sentencing is tomorrow

Bob McGovern‏Verified account @BobMcGovernJr 3h3 hours ago
More
Two families seek two different sentences for #MichelleCarter tomorrow. I've seen the letters a judge will consider:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/loc...g9gWnc.twitter

17-Year-Old Michelle Carter Found Guilty of Coaxing Boyfriend To Suicide
Inside Edition

A grieving aunt of teen suicide victim Conrad Roy III is looking for a 20-year prison sentence for Michelle Carter tomorrow on the heels of her conviction in the blockbuster suicide-by-text case — but the girl’s worried dad is pleading for probation.

“I believe she should be kept far away from society,” wrote Kim Bozzi, Roy’s aunt, in a statement she said she plans to read at Carter’s sentencing inside Taunton Trial Court.

“Take away the spotlight that she so desperately craves. Twenty years may seem extreme but it is still twenty more than Conrad will ever have,” Bozzi said in the written statement she gave to the Herald.

more at link here

Last edited by MEx5; 08-02-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top