Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Ohio: Dennis McGuire - Murderer to get 2-drug shot untried in US - JusticeQuest
JusticeQuest  
-:

Go Back   JusticeQuest > And Justice for All > US Supreme Court > Death Penalty

Death Penalty Civilized discussions, Pros & Cons

Old 01-01-2014, 07:56 AM
JQ Registered User
Hope is a good thing, maybe
the best of things, and no
good thing ever dies

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
:: Inspired
Default Ohio: Dennis McGuire - Murderer to get 2-drug shot untried in US

Ohio: killer to get 2-drug shot untried in US

By Andrew Welsh-Huggins of Associated Press
December 31, 2013

Ohio will use drugs from its untested backup execution method in the Jan. 16 execution of Dennis McGuire.

COLUMBUS, Ohio ó Ohio will use a dose of two drugs untried in the U.S. to put to death a condemned inmate who raped and killed a pregnant woman, according to a decision by the state prison system obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press.

The determination means the prisons agency was unable to obtain an unregulated batch of pentobarbital, the drug Ohio used until its manufacturer put it off limits for executions.

Instead, the state will use drugs from its untested backup execution method in the Jan. 16 execution of Dennis McGuire, according to the decision contained in a memo by Southern Ohio Correctional Facility warden Donald Morgan released to the AP after a public records request.

The untested method: an intravenous combination of midazolam, a sedative, and hydromorphone, a painkiller. No state has put a prisoner to death with those drugs in any fashion.

The drugs were part of a backup method in which they would be injected into an inmate's muscle if the intravenous method failed. Because the pentobarbital is unavailable, this two-drug combination will be the primary method for execution and injected into McGuire's veins.

McGuire, 53, of Preble County in western Ohio, was sentenced to death for killing Joy Stewart in 1989 after meeting her while working on her friend's house. Investigators say McGuire raped and choked the 22-year-old Stewart and stabbed her in the neck and shoulder. Stewart was about eight months pregnant.

Ohio killer to get 2-drug shot untried in US

Let's see if he goes the same route as Ronald Phillips, child killer in Ohio. The same drug was suppose to be use on him, he was given a temporary stay of execution, he wants to donate his organs.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 PM
JQ Registered User
A not so very ordinary girl

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
:: Bashful

I hope it hurts...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2014, 01:42 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
:: Awesome

unfortunately Pixies the only thing that will hurt is the sting of the needle! They are giving him a sedative and a pain killer! He will die pleasantly as he drifts off to sleep! They should do away with lethal injection and go back to the electric chair or better yet hangings! The punishment should fit the crime! I know people will say it is inhumane to electrocute someone but how humane is raping, choking, or stabbing someone? This just pisses me off! Sorry for the rant!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2014, 01:48 PM
JQ Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxnoney View Post
unfortunately Pixies the only thing that will hurt is the sting of the needle! They are giving him a sedative and a pain killer! He will die pleasantly as he drifts off to sleep! They should do away with lethal injection and go back to the electric chair or better yet hangings! The punishment should fit the crime! I know people will say it is inhumane to electrocute someone but how humane is raping, choking, or stabbing someone? This just pisses me off! Sorry for the rant!
Preach it!

I agree!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2014, 01:49 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Jeez, if it was my time to go, I'd pick that cocktail in a heartbeat. It's probably a huge gift to be executed this way instead of being kept alive in a cell for 30 years.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2014, 01:54 PM
JQ Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedoffinny View Post
Jeez, if it was my time to go, I'd pick that cocktail in a heartbeat. It's probably a huge gift to be executed this way instead of being kept alive in a cell for 30 years.
Nah, they have it made in prison. Three meals, free healthcare, cable tv, internet and sex. Lots of sex.

Throw in some bleeding heart assholes who send in mad-money and pen pals it's like a permanent vacation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2014, 05:16 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixies View Post
Nah, they have it made in prison. Three meals, free healthcare, cable tv, internet and sex. Lots of sex.

Throw in some bleeding heart assholes who send in mad-money and pen pals it's like a permanent vacation.
Prixies, I don't think all of them have it made in prison though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2014, 06:42 AM
Banned Camp
HRC - 2016

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
:: Fine
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
Prixies, I don't think all of them have it made in prison though.
I agree, Ang. Being kept in a cage and deprived of your freedom is no day at the beach. And as for sex, forced sex with another person is horrible, again no picnic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2014, 07:16 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scampi View Post
I agree, Ang. Being kept in a cage and deprived of your freedom is no day at the beach. And as for sex, forced sex with another person is horrible, again no picnic.
Hi Scampi, Exactly. Lots of bad stuff happens in prison, it is a heirachy in there. Guys get beat up and murdered in there too. You would always be watching your back and over your shoulder i think.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2014, 07:42 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
:: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scampi View Post
I agree. Being kept in a cage will only "feel" good if the person has some serious mental health problems or or some other reason cannot cope with life outside. It might be the better of two evils, but humans aren't meant to adapt to being in cages.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 PM
JQ Registered User
good thing ever dies

Attorneys: 'Agony and terror' await Ohio killer

January 7, 2014
By Andrew Welsh-Huggins of Associated Press

If the two-drug combination won't sedate death row inmate Dennis McGuire properly, he will experience a suffocation-like syndrome known as air hunger, attorneys said.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio's untried execution method, the first of its kind in the nation, will cause the condemned killer of a pregnant woman "agony and terror" as he struggles to breathe, attorneys trying to stop the execution argued in federal court.

The two-drug combination won't sedate death row inmate Dennis McGuire properly, and he will experience a suffocation-like syndrome known as air hunger, the attorneys said in filings Monday and Tuesday.

The drugs were chosen because of a shortage of other lethal injection drugs.

Lawyers had also asked Gov. John Kasich to spare McGuire on the grounds that a jury never got to hear the full details of his chaotic and abusive childhood and abuse. Kasich rejected that request without comment Tuesday. The governor typically does not give a reason when he turns down clemency requests by death row inmates.

McGuire, 53, is scheduled to die Jan. 16 for the 1989 rape and fatal stabbing of Joy Stewart in Preble County in western Ohio.

McGuire's lawyers asked federal judge Gregory Frost to delay the execution while they challenge the proposed lethal injection system.

"McGuire will experience the agony and terror of air hunger as he struggles to breathe for five minutes after defendants intravenously inject him with the execution drugs," the inmate's attorneys said in a Monday court filing.

They also said McGuire exhibits several symptoms of sleep apnea, which could exacerbate the problem.

My sympathies are with his victim Joy Stewart and her family.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 AM
JQ Registered User
good thing ever dies

Judge won't stop Ohio execution by untried drugs

January 13, 2014 - 39 min ago By Associated Press

Dennis McGuire's lawyers say an untested execution method — developed after supplies of Ohio's former execution drug ran out — will cause him agony and terror.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A federal judge has refused to stop the execution of an Ohio man facing death by a never-tried execution method that the inmate's attorneys allege will cause him agony and terror.

Monday's ruling by Judge Gregory Frost moves condemned killer Dennis McGuire one step closer to execution Thursday by the two-drug method developed after supplies of Ohio's former execution drug dried up.

Judge won't stop Ohio execution by untried drugs
Old 01-14-2014, 12:43 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

:: Innocent

Awe, poor murderer. His injection might hurt, ouch. Poor baby. See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

After his execution, these drugs will be tried, so no other murderer can whine.

Another one bites the dust.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2014, 12:46 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post

snipped by me

"McGuire will experience the agony and terror of air hunger as he struggles to breathe for five minutes after defendants intravenously inject him with the execution drugs," the inmate's attorneys said in a Monday court filing.

They also said McGuire exhibits several symptoms of sleep apnea, which could exacerbate the problem.

My sympathies are with his victim Joy Stewart and her family.
OHMYGOSH, POOR GUY. Guess he should have thought of that before murdering somebody.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2014, 12:49 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Summary of Offense:

On February 11, 1989, McGuire murdered a pregnant woman, 22-year-old Joy Stewart, in a wooded area near Bantas Creek. Ms. Stewart had met McGuire that day when he was performing work on her friend's house. McGuire raped Ms. Stewart, choked her and stabbed her in the neck and shoulder. While in jail for an unrelated kidnapping charge, McGuire attempted to bargain with police by implicating his relative as the rapist-murderer, but police suspected McGuire because he knew significant facts that were not disclosed to the public. DNA testing, conducted in 1992 and again in 2002 during federal appeals, identified McGuire as the source of the semen found in Ms. Stewart's rectum.

OMG, PIECE OF CHIT. I bet not only did she suffer air hunger terror as she was dying, but so was her poor baby inside her no longer getting oxygen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 01:58 PM
JQ Registered User
"Anything worth having is
worth working for." My
Dad

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooMomology View Post
OHMYGOSH, POOR GUY. Guess he should have thought of that before murdering somebody.
They should give him what he wants. "Ole Sparky". Short and no hunger for air. Fry him.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 PM
JQ Registered User
good thing ever dies

Ohio killer executed with controversial drugs

By Dana Ford and Ashley Fantz, CNN
January 16, 2014

(CNN) -- Ohio inmate Dennis McGuire appeared to gasp several times and took as long as 15 minutes to die Thursday during his execution by lethal injection, reporters who witnessed it said.

He was convicted in 1994 of the rape and murder of Joy Stewart, whose relatives were at Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville to witness his death, according to tweets from television reporter Sheila Gray.

McGuire's "children and daughter-in-law were crying and visibly upset," Gray tweeted.

The execution, at 10:53 a.m. ET, has generated controversy because, like many states, Ohio has been forced to find new drug protocols after European-based manufacturers banned U.S. prisons from using their drugs in executions -- among them, Danish-based Lundbeck, which manufactures pentobarbital.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/16/justice/ohio-dennis-mcguire-execution/index.html
Apparently this new combination of drugs worked.

Sending prayers are for the family Joy Stewart.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:25 PM
JQ Registered User
Trying to stop swearing so
much

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
:: Veggedout

I wonder how long it took the woman he murdered to die.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2014, 06:09 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Awe, it took 10 minutes for the piece of chit to die. I wonder how long it too her to die and her baby inside her 30 weeks old baby. And…he snorted, snored a few times. GASP, THE HORROR.

One less skum in our world. Next.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 PM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

:: Cynical
Clap

I think that the guillotine should be used, very fast and very efficient! I can not even pretend to give a sheet about this evil rapists and murderer of a young woman and her 30 week old unborn baby. I can't even imagine how she suffered and how long it took for her to die. She was probably pleading for her baby's life and her own.

I say good riddance to the POS. As for the snorts and gasps? Too bad so sad!
Reply With Quote top