Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Waseem Daker on trial - JusticeQuest
JusticeQuest  
-:

Go Back   JusticeQuest > And Justice for All > Archives

Archives Old Cases with no current activity

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Waseem Daker on trial

Georgia Woman Testifies Against Stalker, Now Accused of Killing Her Roommate

A 17-year-old murder case has brought a convicted stalker face-to-face in a Georgia courtroom with the woman he harassed. He is now on trial, accused of killing her roommate as an act of revenge for reporting him to police.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...-her-roommate/

there is video of a little testimony of his stalking victim
Old 09-18-2012, 10:17 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

www.ajc.com/search/?q=Waseem+Daker&type=

if you start at bottom of page you can read previous stories of this case

Waseem Daker, charged with the 1995 murder of a flight attendant, is defending himself in Cobb County Superior court where he appeared Monday, March 14, for motions hearings. He has filed more than 90 motions in the case.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Stalker on Trial for Strangling a Woman, Stabbing Her 5-Year-Old Son

Waseem Daker was convicted in 1996 in the state of Georgia for stalking Spencer Blatz, and has already served 10 years in prison. The man now faces charges for the murder of Spencer Blatz’s housemate, Karmen Smith, and the attempted murder of her son Nicholas.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Stalk...medium=twitter
Old 09-18-2012, 10:25 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Man who stalked woman on his paintball team 'murdered her roommate after she got in the way of his obsession

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

In an unnerving twist, Waseem Daker fired his court-appointed lawyer so now he is the one questioning Loretta Spencer Blatz, the woman who he used to stalk and who was the reason why he spent 10 years behind bars.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Daker, now 34, is also charged with aggravated battery on Smith’s son, Nickolas, who was stabbed 16 times on Oct. 23, 1995. Nickolas Smith was 5 years old and in kindergarten at Timber Ridge Elementary at the time, but he survived and is expected to testify in the trial.

Judge allows murder suspect to act as his own lawyer

http://mdjonline.com/bookmark/201337...medium=twitter
Old 09-18-2012, 10:46 AM
MIA
On A Justice Quest.

Oh god - that poor woman has to be quesioned by him! I hope he gets put away forever!

"You Don't OWN a Dog. You HAVE a Dog and the Dog HAS YOU." Chelsea Handler

"Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining." Judge Judy
Old 09-19-2012, 08:18 AM
JQ Registered User
Hope is a good thing, maybe
the best of things, and no
good thing ever dies

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
:: Inspired

Stabbing Survivor Grilled by Man Accused of Stabbing Him, Strangling Mom

By STEVE OSUNSAMI and ERIN McLAUGHLIN | Good Morning America

It was clearly going to be a grueling day of testimony for Nick Smith as he was about to be cross examined by the man accused of murdering his mother and stabbing him 18 times when he was only 5 years old.

Smith began crying shortly after taking the stand in Marietta, Ga., and was just spelling his name.

Smith, now 22, was testifying in the murder trial of Waseem Daker, who was acting as his own attorney.

http://gma.yahoo.com/stabbing-surviv...opstories.html

Ugh, terrible for this victim to have to recount his ordeal to his attacker!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:11 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post
Stabbing Survivor Grilled by Man Accused of Stabbing Him, Strangling Mom

By STEVE OSUNSAMI and ERIN McLAUGHLIN | Good Morning America

It was clearly going to be a grueling day of testimony for Nick Smith as he was about to be cross examined by the man accused of murdering his mother and stabbing him 18 times when he was only 5 years old.

Smith began crying shortly after taking the stand in Marietta, Ga., and was just spelling his name.

Smith, now 22, was testifying in the murder trial of Waseem Daker, who was acting as his own attorney.

http://gma.yahoo.com/stabbing-surviv...opstories.html

Ugh, terrible for this victim to have to recount his ordeal to his attacker!
I felt so awful for that poor young man; i hate that the killer is allowed to play attorney and question the victim in this way; it is horrible. I don't see how this young man will ever get over what happened to his mother and now this----
Old 09-19-2012, 09:31 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

Daker Trial: 17 years later, man says he was stabbed by someone wearing a mask, gloves

MARIETTA — On what would have been his mother’s 47th birthday, a tearful Nickolas Smith recounted for jurors the day 17 years ago when he was stabbed 18 times in his east Cobb home by a man who was wearing a black mask.

Nickolas Smith was 5 years old when an attacker strangled his mother to death and stabbed him 18 times. Tuesday, Smith lifted his shirt and revealed his scars to jurors in the Waseem Smith murder trial.
Photo by Laura Moon

Nickolas Smith, now 22 and a recent University of Georgia graduate, testified Tuesday in the murder trial of Waseem Daker, who is accused of strangling Smith’s mother to death and stabbing Smith, then 5, 18 times. Tuesday would have been the 47th birthday for Smith’s mother.
Photo by Laura Moon

http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story...ask--gloves--?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:56 PM
JQ Registered User
good thing ever dies

Posted: 5:06 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2012

Quest to defend oneself in court can be a perilous undertaking

By Katie Leslie and Andria Simmons
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Under cross-examination in a Cobb County courtroom this week, witness Nick Smith answered questions about being stabbed 16 times when he was 5 years old. But he would not look at the man asking them.

That’s likely because that man, Waseem Daker, is accused of being Smith’s attacker.

In a murder case drawing national attention, Daker, 35, is representing himself against charges he stabbed and strangled Nick’s mother, Karmen Smith, in her Marietta home on Oct. 23, 1995. Prosecutors say that after murdering Smith, Daker attacked Nick when he returned home from school.

Though the right to self-representation has existed since Colonial times, legal experts said that the decision to represent oneself in serious cases, particularly murder, is a perilous undertaking. Especially because of tense courtroom moments like these.

“It would be a disaster waiting to happen,” summed up legendary Georgian defense attorney Bobby Lee Cook. “To put a cross examination in the hands of someone like this would be, in my opinion, 99 times out of a 100, catastrophic to the defendant.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/quest-t...erilous/nSFwQ/

Daker appears to have an ego like Ted Bundy, he represented himself & we all know how that turned out...
Old 09-25-2012, 07:52 AM
JQ Registered User
good thing ever dies

Daker jurors see bondage photos, ‘how to kill’ books

by Kim Isaza
[email protected] The Marietta Daily Journal
September 25, 2012 12:19 AM

MARIETTA — Jurors in the Waseem Daker murder trial saw several disturbing photographs depicting women in various states of bondage and undress and looked at pages from books about how to kill people, all of which was found in Daker’s possession or on his computer after his arrest in 2010.

Most of the photographs appeared to be posed, and one was of a woman with colored red hair, which prosecutor Jesse Evans made sure to point out with Cobb homicide detective John Dawes on the stand Monday afternoon.

It was Dawes who in 2009 reopened the cold-case killing of Karmen Smith and the nonfatal stabbing of her young son, Nick Smith, that occurred on Oct. 23, 1995, at the Smith’s residence in east Cobb. Karmen Smith was a redhead.

After Dawes left the witness stand, Daker, who is representing himself, asked for a mistrial on the grounds that statements Dawes made indicating Daker was in fact Karmen Smith’s killer were prejudicial. It’s an issue that Daker brought up last week, when Superior Court Judge Mary E. Staley told prosecutors to tell their witnesses to refrain from such comments.

Evans, though, argued the situation was manufactured by Daker through his insistence on representing himself.

“He’s been talking in third person for much of the trial,” Evans said, adding that the responses have all come during Daker’s cross-examination of the state’s witnesses.

Staley refused to grant a mistrial and again ordered prosecutors to warn their witnesses against making such comments.

Daker actually called his first witness Monday afternoon, though the state has not yet rested its case. One prosecution witness is flying in with medical personnel and will likely take the stand this afternoon. The state also expects to finish its side today.

http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_s...E2%80%99-books

IMO, the dna evidence will convict Daker.

My dh always jokes about "if my computer is ever confiscated by police I'm going to jail" some of the stuff I've searched for on my pc will put me away, not to mention the books I've read on true crime...
Old 09-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
On A Justice Quest.

Location: Where Mexico, California and Arizona share a border
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
:: Wtf

I am sort of glad that the little boy (who is grown up now) did not have to testify when he was a child. Although it would have allowed him to get over the trial if this guy had been caught earlier. I feel so bad for the young man having to talk about seeing his mom killed and showing his scars.

Send the MF to death row.

For my part I know nothing with certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream. Vincent van Gogh

Commit a crime and the earth becomes glass. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-27-2012, 06:00 PM
JQ Registered User
good thing ever dies

Waseem Daker Trial: Ex-Husband and Victim Fought Day of Murder

By STEVE OSUNSAMI (@SteveOsunsami)
Sept. 26, 2012

While testifying in the murder trial of Waseem Daker, the Georgia man accused of killing flight attendant Karmen Smith in 1995 and stabbing her then 5-year-old son, Smith's ex-husband broke down in tears as he told the court that he had absolutely nothing to do with her murder.

Michael Smith testified Tuesday at the Marietta, Ga., trial of Daker, who is accused of strangling Karmen Smith as an act of revenge against her roommate, Loretta Spencer Blatz, who helped send Daker to prison for harassing her. Just before going to serve a 10-year prison sentence for stalking Blatz, prosecutors say Daker killed Smith.

Michael Smith told jurors he did have an argument with his ex-wife the morning of her murder. But when prosecutors asked if he had anything to do with Karmen Smith's murder, he said, "Absolutely not."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/waseem-dake...ry?id=17327114
Old 09-27-2012, 06:07 PM
JQ Registered User
good thing ever dies

Posted: 5:36 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 27, 2012

Judge to Daker: "This is outrageous"

By Andrew Spencer

A man defending himself in court against murder charges has been warned by the judge to tread carefully.

"This is outrageous," Judge Mary Staley told the defendant.

Snip

Daker has complained about having trouble getting information for his defense from inside a cell. He wanted a police captain to testify, Wednesday, because he says the man didn't respond to his requests for information.

"This is not a fishing expedition in the middle of a trial," the judge told Daker, "and this is no way to treat this human being who was drug in here for -- you don't even know why."

http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/lo...rageous/nSM6c/

IMO, This whole trial is outrageous, disgusting that the victims/family are being questioned by the very man who murdered/attempted murder and stalked them, heartbreaking.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 PM
JQ Registered User
good thing ever dies

DNA expert questions custody of evidence

by Kim Isaza The Marietta Daily Journal
September 27, 2012 01:38 AM

MARIETTA — Murder defendant Waseem Daker put his own DNA expert on the stand Wednesday.

Dr. Greg Hampikian tried to mitigate the prosecution’s forensic scientist, who told jurors on Tuesday that a hair found on the murder victim was definitely matched to Daker, though Hampikian did not do any actual testing of the evidence in the case.

Rather Hampikian, a professor at Boise State University in Idaho, called into question the chain of custody of the evidence from the 1995 killing and the “miraculous” availability of a hair with root tissue for testing more than a decade later, though he offered no proof of any mishandling.

“You have to show me what comes in and what goes out,” he said.

Snip

Before jurors came in after the lunch break, Daker unsuccessfully argued for some of his witnesses to be allowed.

Daker, who is representing himself, wanted to call a Captain Halbert to testify about property logs Daker claimed to have just received, when the state showed he had been given the information earlier.

“There has been repeated behavior of bad faith in discovery,” Judge Mary Staley said before disallowing the testimony as a sanction. “I’ve warned you, Mr. Daker. You have to follow the rules. They apply to all. … I’ve warned you for the last time.”

http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_s...dy-of-evidence
Old 09-28-2012, 10:32 AM
JQ Registered User
On A Justice Quest.

tweets from https://twitter.com/i/#!/search/murder trial

Jennifer Banks ‏@JenniferBanksTV

Jurors to begin deliberations in flight attendant murder trial: Jurors near Atlanta are expected to begin delibe... http://bit.ly/V5uOgg

CBS Atlanta News ‏@CBSAtlBreaking

Jurors to begin deliberations in flight attendant murder trial http://cbsatlanta.com/story/19665217…
Old 09-28-2012, 10:40 AM
JQ Registered User
good thing ever dies

Daker fate in hands of jury

September 28, 2012 01:36 AM

MARIETTA — Jurors in the Waseem Daker murder trial are to begin deliberations this morning after hearing nearly four hours of closing arguments Thursday afternoon.

The trial has consumed nearly three weeks in Superior Court Judge Mary Staley’s courtroom.

The courtroom was crowded as witnesses, including Loretta “Lottie” Spencer Blatz as well as relatives of Daker’s, sat in for the closings. Nick Smith, the son of murder victim Karmen Smith, was not in the courtroom.

Daker is charged in the Oct. 23, 1995 murder of Karmen Smith in her east Cobb home and the repeated but nonfatal stabbings of Nick, who was just 5 at the time. Daker previously spent a decade in prison for stalking Spencer Blatz, who lived upstairs from the Smiths.

http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story...me_top_bullets

IMO, jury will come back with a guilty verdict, his mistake was representing himself.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 PM
MIA
On A Justice Quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post
Daker fate in hands of jury

September 28, 2012 01:36 AM

MARIETTA ó Jurors in the Waseem Daker murder trial are to begin deliberations this morning after hearing nearly four hours of closing arguments Thursday afternoon.

The trial has consumed nearly three weeks in Superior Court Judge Mary Staleyís courtroom.

The courtroom was crowded as witnesses, including Loretta ďLottieĒ Spencer Blatz as well as relatives of Dakerís, sat in for the closings. Nick Smith, the son of murder victim Karmen Smith, was not in the courtroom.

Daker is charged in the Oct. 23, 1995 murder of Karmen Smith in her east Cobb home and the repeated but nonfatal stabbings of Nick, who was just 5 at the time. Daker previously spent a decade in prison for stalking Spencer Blatz, who lived upstairs from the Smiths.

http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story...me_top_bullets

IMO, jury will come back with a guilty verdict, his mistake was representing himself.
I agree!

"You Don't OWN a Dog. You HAVE a Dog and the Dog HAS YOU." Chelsea Handler

"Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining." Judge Judy
Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 PM
MIA
On A Justice Quest.

I'm surprised the jury didn't just yell out guilty after instructions.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:31 PM
JQ Registered User
good thing ever dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Badger View Post
I'm surprised the jury didn't just yell out guilty after instructions.
Right! LOL!! Gosh you're so darn funny!