Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. (Identified) 1985: Chevelle Wheeler, 16, Stockton California - JusticeQuest
JusticeQuest  
-:

Go Back   JusticeQuest > Missing, NOT forgotten > Found!

Found! Found and Identified

Old 12-18-2008, 10:22 AM
JQ Registered User
A not so very ordinary girl

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
:: Bashful
Default 1985: Chevelle Wheeler, 16, Stockton California

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._chevelle.html

Quote:
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: October 16, 1985 from Stockton, California
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: October 27, 1968
Height and Weight: 5'3, 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Wheeler's nickname is Chevy.

Details of Disappearance

Wheeler was last seen entering a red pickup truck outside of Franklin High School in Stockton, California on October 16, 1985. She told friends that she planned to skip classes that day and drive to Valley Springs, California with a male friend. Wheeler has never been heard from again. One of her friends says Wheeler seemed apprehensive about the trip. She asked her friend to tell her father if she didn't return by the time school let out for the day.
Authorities soon learned the identity of her friend: Wesley Howard Shermantine Jr. was an acquaintance of Wheeler's family. He was nineteen years old at the time of Wheeler's disappearance. Family members told investigators that Shermantine called their home the morning Wheeler disappeared to confirm their plans for a drive to the mountains. When Shermantine was questioned by authorities shortly after Wheeler vanished, he denied having any involvement in her case. Shermantine also told her family he was innocent. Investigators continued to suspect him, particularly after searching Shermantine's family's cabin in San Andreas, California. Police collected blood and hair evidence at the cabin in 1985, but DNA testing technology prevented the samples from being analyzed until 1999, 14 years after Wheeler disappeared. Investigators privately believed that the blood and hair were hers, but they did not have evidence to support theory at the time.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:38 PM
JQ Registered User
Hope is a good thing, maybe
the best of things, and no
good thing ever dies

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
:: Inspired

Identified -Chevelle Yvonne Wheeler Missing since October 16, 1985 from Stockton, CA

Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._chevelle.html

Convicted California killer's tip leads police to second set of human remains

Published February 10, 2012
Associated Press

FRANCISCO – Information provided by a California death row inmate who was one of the two notorious "Speed Freak Killers" led to the discovery Friday of a second set of human remains, this time believed to belong to a 16-year-old girl who went missing nearly three decades ago.

Specially trained dogs led authorities to a partial human skull and bones buried on a remote Calaveras County property, said Deputy Les Garcia, spokesman for the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Department, which is leading the search.

Garcia said it would take some time for the Department of Justice to make a positive identification.

However, the parents of Chevelle "Chevy" Wheeler said authorities notified them that the remains were discovered where death row inmate Wesley Shermantine said they would find their daughter, who disappeared while skipping school in 1985. Shermantine was convicted of her murder, which authorities say was part of a methamphetamine-fueled killing spree committed by him and his childhood friend, Loren Herzog, from the 1980s until their arrests in 1999.

"They said they found her wrapped in a blanket," Paula Wheeler, the girl's mother, told The Associated Press in a phone interview from the family's home in Crossville, Tenn. "This is a happy day. We can finally have some closure."

The Wheelers say they plan to cremate their daughter and bring her home with them to Tennessee, where they moved after her disappearance.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/10...human-remains/

I am happy for Chevelle's family that they finally know what happened to their daughter, but sad that this was the outcome.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:45 PM
JQ Registered User
Hope is a good thing, maybe
the best of things, and no
good thing ever dies

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
:: Inspired

Identified -Chevelle Yvonne Wheeler Missing since October 16, 1985 from Stockton, CA

Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._chevelle.html

Convicted California killer's tip leads police to second set of human remains

Published February 10, 2012
Associated Press

FRANCISCO – Information provided by a California death row inmate who was one of the two notorious "Speed Freak Killers" led to the discovery Friday of a second set of human remains, this time believed to belong to a 16-year-old girl who went missing nearly three decades ago.

Specially trained dogs led authorities to a partial human skull and bones buried on a remote Calaveras County property, said Deputy Les Garcia, spokesman for the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Department, which is leading the search.

Garcia said it would take some time for the Department of Justice to make a positive identification.

However, the parents of Chevelle "Chevy" Wheeler said authorities notified them that the remains were discovered where death row inmate Wesley Shermantine said they would find their daughter, who disappeared while skipping school in 1985. Shermantine was convicted of her murder, which authorities say was part of a methamphetamine-fueled killing spree committed by him and his childhood friend, Loren Herzog, from the 1980s until their arrests in 1999.

"They said they found her wrapped in a blanket," Paula Wheeler, the girl's mother, told The Associated Press in a phone interview from the family's home in Crossville, Tenn. "This is a happy day. We can finally have some closure."

The Wheelers say they plan to cremate their daughter and bring her home with them to Tennessee, where they moved after her disappearance.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/10...human-remains/
Old 02-11-2012, 05:27 PM
JQ Registered User
I miss you Mom

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
:: Fine

'Speed Freak Killer' was paid $33,000 to guide search for victims

Condemned serial killer Wesley Shermantine, 45, drew maps of where he and late accomplice Loren Herzog buried as many as 20 victims of their drug-fueled murder spree that began in the mid-1980s and terrorized San Joaquin and Calaveras counties for more than a decade. Shermantine gave up the information in exchange for $33,000 provided by Sacramento bounty hunter Leonard Padilla, Padilla told The Times.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...h-victims.html

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Fantasia Sparkleheatheat
On A Justice Quest.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieLady View Post
'Speed Freak Killer' was paid $33,000 to guide search for victims

Condemned serial killer Wesley Shermantine, 45, drew maps of where he and late accomplice Loren Herzog buried as many as 20 victims of their drug-fueled murder spree that began in the mid-1980s and terrorized San Joaquin and Calaveras counties for more than a decade. Shermantine gave up the information in exchange for $33,000 provided by Sacramento bounty hunter Leonard Padilla, Padilla told The Times.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...h-victims.html
Ok I will give kudo's to Lenny and his cowboy hat and toothpick. He did good!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2012, 06:21 PM
JQ Registered User
I miss you Mom

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
:: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasalurker View Post
Agreed! At least, this time, his money did some good for the family's.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2014, 08:10 AM
JQ Registered User
Post~N~Run Champ!

Location: War does not determine who is right - only who is left
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
:: Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasalurker View Post
My Hawg...

Squirrley
9/20/1996 ~ 3/31/2014

Reply With Quote top